Bedding Basics: The Ultimate Guide
I think we can all agree that a good night's sleep has a tremendous impact on our health and well-being. So what better place to start than with your bed? To that end, here are the absolute essentials for creating your dream bed and ensuring your best sleep ever:
1. Good Quality Sheets: this one seems like a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised at the overwhelming amount of poor-quality bedding still out there. When buying good bedding, focus first on the raw material. Egyptian and long-staple American Pima Cotton account for some of the longest and strongest fibres in the world, ensuring durability and softness in perfect harmony. It's important to look for all-natural fibres in your bedding, as this will ensure breathability and ultimately, comfort. Synthetics may try and sway you with lower price-points and "wrinkle-free" guarantees, but don't give in! Treated polyester has no place in your bedding.
Next, pay attention to the origin of weave. Italy houses some of the best weavers in the world, while Portugal has an excellent reputation in this field as well. In a nutshell: the better the quality of weave, the better the feel and durability of your bedding.
Lastly, take a look at thread count and style of weave - two factors which really only impact feel at this point - to determine which combination will best suit your tastes. Percale weaves are best described as crisp, cool, and buttery soft, while cotton satins are slick and silky with a sheen. Beyond that, the body of linen or fineness of bamboo may be more your preference.
|Unsure of the ideal fabrication for you? We'll gladly send along complimentary swatches of our full thread count bar (as well as nearly every other collection on the site) so you can give each option a good feel before settling on your favourite.|
2. The Perfect Pillow: Arguably the most important consideration of the bunch, a good pillow - thoughtfully selected for your individual needs and preferences - is going to make or break your quality of sleep. While the process of selecting the perfect pillow can be one of trial-and-error, start by identifying what you like. Do you prefer a firm pillow with plenty of support? Something super soft and squishy, offering little support? Or perhaps a nice balance between the two? Whatever your tastes, we definitely recommend a pure down fill* for your best quality sleep, as the light fluffy clusters of down make for an impeccable balance of softness and support. Check out the chart below to get started on picking your perfect pillow.
3. A Cloudy Duvet: Ah, to sleep beneath a cloud...or rather, wrapped up in one. Not unlike pillows, we strongly recommend a quality goose down fill for your duvet. Down's job in nature is to insulate (read: trap in warmth!), and as it is an all natural fibre, it's extremely breathable as well. Unlike heavy feathers or synthetics, down is fluffy as can be, leading to the ultimate trifecta for your duvet: warm, breathable, and light as a cloud.
Duvet decisions don't end with the fill though. Just as important is a good quality shell, made up of 100% breathable cotton in a high thread count. This is going to prevent any unpleasant crinkling or rustling, and keep down clusters from leaking out. We also strongly recommend a baffle-box construction, as this will keep the fill properly distributed for years to come.
4. Mattress & Pillow Protectors: Okay, okay, these certainly aren't the most glamorous parts of your bed, but they are true essentials. We cannot overstate the importance of protecting your investments, and adding washable protectors is just the ticket.
Both pillow and mattress protectors are going to add an additional layer between our bedding staples and the array of oils, perspiration, and dander we shed throughout the night. Wash them along with your bedding at weekly intervals to keep allergens at bay and pillows & mattresses clean. Further, a pillow protector is going to extend the lifespan of your pillow, while a thoughtfully selected mattress pad can provide the added benefit of temperature regulation (helping to keep you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter). Look for all-natural fibres - like our Wool Mattress Protector - for this additional advantage. Whichever direction you go, however, just don't opt out.
5. BONUS! Add A Featherbed: Now, we don't quite consider the featherbed non-negotiable, as you can still enjoy a fantastic night's sleep without one, but boy oh boy does it make things infinitely better.
Adding a featherbed is like adding a light, fluffy cloud beneath you, the experience of which cannot be beat. We recommend your featherbed feature a down topper to add an extra layer of soft, fluffy comfort, as well as prevent quills from poking out. When fluffed at weekly intervals when you change your bedding and rotated every few weeks to keep weight evenly distributed, your cloudy topper will last you for years to come.
Now that your armed with the basics, get started shopping for your best sleep ever: