For those who don't have a full bed frame, a headboard is an excellent way to round out your bedroom space, adding height and visual interest to the bed. That said, a headboard certainly isn't necessary; we completely understand some folks' hesitation to invest in a pricey piece they'll have to design around for years to come. Luckily there's no shortage of alternatives out there - here are a few of our favourites:
1. ART: Hanging a large piece of art or several smaller pieces will add visual interest to the space above the bed, and can be easily rearranged or swapped out when it comes time for a refresh.
courtesy The Design Chaser / Oscar Properties
2. WALLPAPER: Wallpapering the wall your bed rests on as an "accent wall" will serve as a bold and trendy alternative to a headboard.
courtesy Murals Wallpaper & bloglovin
3. PILLOWS: Using Euro pillows along the back of the bed will add height and flexibility, as the pillow covers can be swapped out with much greater ease and much lesser cost than swapping out a whole headboard when the mood strikes.
courtesy Au Lit Fine Linens
4. MIRROR: Adding a mirror above the bed will not only serve to round out the space, but also offers versatility for years to come. What doesn't go with a mirror?
*Bonus: a mirror will also serve to make smaller spaces feel just a bit bigger
5. FLOATING SHELVES: Adding shelving above the bed will add height as well as depth, not to mention flexibility - you can rearrange and swap out the knick-knacks on the shelves at your leisure.
Do you have a great idea for a headboard alternative? Tweet us @aulitfinelinens.com!